Can I sell drinks at my party to recoup my cost? Why or why not? : Private Bartender Service Articles
"She did an amazing job and most definitely represented an "Elite" feel.

Mark G. - Company Owner
Bartender provided for: 
Office Party, Atlanta, GA
Atlanta, GA.

Bartender Articles and Information

Can I sell drinks at my party to recoup my cost? Why or why not?

by Jeremy on 08/27/13

Can I sell alcohol or drinks to recoup cost of my party, wedding, or company event? Why or Why not? Alcohol and Insurance tips from the nations fastest growing private bartender and hospitality staffing company.

The short answer: unfortunately no. People cannot pay for drinks in a private setting. Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) requires the sale of alcohol must be done through a licensed establishment by the state of Georgia. There are ways around this law, but it requires an entirely new set of permits, licenses, and headaches.  I would highly suggest steering away from that option; mainly because it’s not a feasible option. There can be absolutely no money in exchange for alcohol unless you have a liquor license. And yes, the government officials specifically site "charging for food/entrance tickets with free alcohol". The only people allowed to have a liquor license are establishments/actual places; i.e. bars/restaurants/liquor stores, or catering companies at a facility. An example of corporate catering is a Georgia Dome catering company businesses serving alcohol and food for large conferences and events.

You may be able to acquire a temporary permit from your county. There are costly fees associated with this permit and it's only beneficial for large scale events, such as Music Midtown. To acquire one of these permits, you generally have to possess a liquor license (think restaurant again) to be able to extend the "alcohol reach" temporarily to other private venues. If able, you would then have to acquire special stickers which must be put on every bottle for transportation. Contents must be recorded to assess proper local and state taxes, and the venue is approved by a government official prior to the event, and then (many more steps)....... Well, I think you get the point.

Venues hosting private events (like weddings) serve alcohol (through an insured bartender) free to its guests. In this case, all you need is liquor liability insurance, general liability and workers compensation insurance (if you have more than one bartender) which Bartender Atlanta and carries for every event.

So in general, if you are having a private event at a public venue, the alcohol must be served freely only by an insured bartender. You may elect to personally insurance your party with event insurance. Event insurance for a single occasion is priced around five hundred dollars. Buying event insurance is typically more expensive than the total cost of a bartender service with insurance. Reputable and insured bartender services (very rare in all cities) will cover liquor liability and general liability. Make sure you ask the company for a copy of the insurance certificate. Most companies will claim they have the necessary insurance, but when you ask for specific documents the will suddenly become unavailable. Be very careful with this. You don’t want to unknowingly self insure your own party and all your guests.  Alcohol law is extremely complex. You should seriously consider a bartender company educated in alcohol law and insurance. 

The Elite Private Bartender Group wishes you a great time for your guests and piece of mind for the hosts. We hope this information helps!

For more information on how to acquire an insured, professional bartender for your next event, go to ,or a different member for the Elite Private Bartender Group at  

Currently we provide exceptional bartenders services to the following cities:













New York City:

Pick your city and request a proposal for your special day. We look forward to serving you. Corporate events and private parties are treated with professionalism we expect, and you deserve. Have a wonderful day.